WELCOME TO ENGLISH 109H!

I'm Dr. Mary Bell, and I'm your instructor for this course. I will conduct course communication via this blog. Please check daily! mebell@email.arizona.edu

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

A few usage mistakes I've noticed in your blogs



Source: Jo Guldi on https://flic.kr/p/JiPf2
Employers often complain that the college graduates they employ lack basic writing skills. Here, for example, is a post from Businessinsider.com noting frequent usage mistakes:
http://www.businessinsider.com/harvard-steven-pinker-misused-words-2015-9

I will not mark up your blogs or drafts for grammar and usage problems, although they do affect your grade if they are pervasive. Part of what you are learning in this course is to take responsibility for your own writing. Be proud of what you write, and be passionate about it!! That means taking the time to be self-critical, and editing your own work for clarity, usage, grammar, and spelling.

My task is to point you to resources that may help you to develop this practice of self-editing. 

=>>Review RFW "Glossary of Usage" (596-609).  This is an excellent reference, so keep it open by your computer as you write, and consult it frequently. I have seen several mistakes from this list in your blogs. 










No comments:

Post a Comment