WELCOME TO ENGLISH 109H!

I'm Dr. Mary Bell, and I'm your instructor for this course. I will conduct course communication via this blog. Please check daily! mebell@email.arizona.edu

Friday, December 4, 2015

BLOG POST 40: write a letter of encouragement to yourself

Educational research shows that your mindset is key to growth as a learner. If you believe that learning/school success is mainly outside of your control, you will be tempted to give up. Having a growth mindset can help you persevere to achieve your goals. 

Fixed Mindset versus Growth Mindset:


FIXED MINDSET GROWTH MINDSET
No amount of effort will produce success: “I’m just not smart” or “I can’t write” or “I’m not college material.”
Hard work will produce improvement: 
"I believe I can develop my abilities.”  
Learning should be easy: If I have to try hard, I’m not smart.” “I don’t understand.”  “I can’t do this.”
Achievement results from effort: 
I may not understand yet, but I can 
get better at this.”
Needing help is a sign of weakness:  "I should be able to do this without asking for help."
Needing--and asking for-- help is an 
opportunity to grow: "I will welcome multiple opportunities to learn and improve."
Only emphasize outcomes: 
"If I'm getting Cs I'm a failure."  
"If I'm getting As I must be pretty smart."  
"I have to pass this class or my life will be over."
Emphasize process: 
"Even though I may not be getting the grades I wanted, I am learning from this experience."  
"I'm growing as a writer and I want to keep growing."

BLOG POST 40: write a letter of encouragement to yourself to read when things get tough next semester. 

No comments:

Post a Comment